[MPlayer-dev-eng] Improved remove-logo filter

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Sep 15 19:25:38 CEST 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 06:38:32PM -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > On Thu, 2006-09-14 at 00:53 -0700, Trent Piepho wrote:
> > > BTW, mplayer does require gcc 3/4, the vf_yadif.c filter that was just
> > > added uses the symbolic names for asm operands extension, which was added
> > > in gcc 3.1.
> >
> > Actually not, it has code to disable asm under older gcc versions:
> >
> > +#if __GNUC__ < 3 || (__GNUC__ == 3 && __GNUC_MINOR__ == 0)
> > +#undef HAVE_MMX
> > +#endif
>
> I suppose it does work under gcc 2.95 then, for loose definitions of
> "works".  Somehow, I doubt Rich would have been satisfied if I had "fixed"
> compilation on gcc 2.95 in the same manner.

I will be mad if code I have no intention of using generates compile
errors due to gcc3/4 dependency (especially if it's difficult to fix),
but I don't particularly care if code I have no intention of using
runs slower due to some asm being disabled. I really don't care much
about asm being "gcc 2.95 compliant" unless it's in major code that's
needed for ordinary everyday movie playing, as long as it'd under
proper ifdef.

BTW the ifdef should be determined in configure imo, not inline with
nasty version checks. Something like #ifdef HAVE_ASM_SYMBOLIC_NAMES or
whatnot. Then it's possible to support a 'gcc 2.95.5' or similar with
the useful features backported, or other non-gcc compilers (icc?) that
support the same syntax. Including preprocessor conditionals based on
a specific vendor is almost always wrong.

Rich