[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Policy update

Ivo ivop at euronet.nl
Sat Oct 7 21:02:22 CEST 2006

On Saturday 07 October 2006 20:02, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Nobody will break his fingers, but that's not a reasonable standard.
> There's lots of stupid stuff that could be introduced without breaking
> anyone's fingers.
>
> Extracting a patch, writing a mail with it attached, and then applying
> the patch at _another_ time (so you can't finish things in one go) is
> several times more work than simply applying the change. And I do not
> want to see patches for obvious things from _other_ developers on the
> mailing list either. Seeing them once in the commit log mails is quite
> enough.

My personal policy is always: better safe than sorry, unless it's a really
trivial typo-fix. I have posted various patches to -dev-eng that got a
prompt reply by Diego or Reimar saying "go ahead" or something similar. I
prefer that over a potential flame-war :)

> So do you really believe that people will disagree with the VIDIX
> change? That there is a chance the eventual consensus will be to revert
> it? If not then IMO you have no reason to complain. Even if the VIDIX
> change was "political" to some degree, it was still obvious. Saying that
> every decision which can in some way be interpreted as "political",
> however obvious, should be carried out by more than 3 developers is
> nonsense.

I do not have strong feelings about removing that message, but when I read
it, it did cross my mind that nobody will be even tempted anymore to port
it to their system. Not that I particularly care about VIDIX, I don't even
use it, but that's not the point. What harm is done to just leave the
message where it was?

--Ivo