[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Policy update

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat Oct 7 19:16:07 CEST 2006

Hello,
On Sat, Oct 07, 2006 at 08:06:23PM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> which are believed to be controversial (with some consideration given to
> the size and risk of the change - changes which are easy to revert and
> cannot cause serious breakage need less guarantee of consensus before
> applying).
[...]

I actually disagree. Reverting a change is something many people will
try hard to avoid because it results in lots of nastiness and in some
cases to people fighting about policy via their commit privileges. I
certainly would prefer to have that road of escalation sealed tightly.
Nobody will break his fingers by writing one additional mail.

> In summary I might not object to this if it's interpreted in the way I
> would interpret it; but if you mean a different interpretation which
> would be against for example the VIDIX commit then I do object.

I did not even read the proposal, but the problem with the VIDIX commit
(and some others) is that it is not a technical but a political
decision (e.g. do we want to advertise VIDIX and make people port it?).
The problem with political decisions is
1) there is likely always someone who disagrees
2) it leads easily to flames
3) it should be carried by more than 2 or 3 developers if possible, at
least it's not something a maintainer can really decide, at best a
project leader could.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger