[MPlayer-dev-eng] The path to RC2

Matt Sicker boards at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 17:42:33 CET 2006

On 11/3/06, Benjamin Zores <ben at geexbox.org> wrote:
> - A MUST HAVE: having a libmplayer to allow being controlled and tuned more
> easily and from a more generic way than slave mode currently allows.
> For VLC (again) wasn't meant to be used as a lib neither but they
> implemented a library on top of their slave mode for external apps to
> control it easily.
> Currently with MPlayer, everyone wanting to use slave mode has to re-invent
> the wheel.
> Of course, having a _REAL_ library (i.e. no slave mode) would be the best,
> making mplayer/gmplayer/mencoder code unified and they'll only be frontends
> to this lib then.
I don't think this is doable for the 1.0 release; this would be a huge
change in the structure of the code.  Then again, the MPlayer devs
continue to surprise me with their superb efforts in
reverse-engineering and other accomplishments, so who knows.  I'd
rather see efforts in testing every nook and cranny to make sure it
works, documenting everything that isn't documented, and trying to
finish some of the beta work (e.g. lavf would be great to have in
mencoder; not many people like using AVI anymore :P).