[MPlayer-dev-eng] to michael

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Thu May 25 14:31:20 CEST 2006

Sorry, have more replies to this...

On Thu, May 25, 2006 at 01:59:11PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Thursday, 25 May 2006 at 03:36, Rich Felker wrote:
> > As for extortion, requiring a $50 "donation" to remove yourself from a
> > being listed as a spammer (and the resulting damages due to your
>
> It's not extortion. They do not profit from it. And if you sent spam,
> why shouldn't you atone for it?

But your honor, I didn't send any spam... I don't have the money to pay...
(btw, $50 for me is an entire monthly salary ;)

> > network not being able to send to ISPs who have been tricked into
> > using SORBS) is blatent extortion.
>
> Tricked? ROTFL. Any administrator who uses blocking lists without
> veryifying their effects on his services is clearly incompetent.

Well, that only covers about 80% of administrators I suppose.

> > If this isn't enough for you, you're welcome to require anyone
> > emailing you to confirm their emails via a challenge-response system
> > and use a whitelist for known senders.
>
> Now that's throwing out the baby out with the bathwater. Not only spam
> won't reach your mailbox, but also normal people will stop e-mailing you
> because you're making them jump through hoops.

You said yourself a few lines ago to pre-emptively block innocent
people...

> > > Blocklists do not list people. They list IP addresses (or domain names).
> >
> > This is the most idiotic argument ever. It's like saying someone
> > publishing a "sex offenders list" isn't responsible for the horrible
> > things that happen to people on the list due to others reading it.
>
> Bad analogy. That is a list of people. A list of IPs is NOT a list of
> people. An IP blacklist is like a list of dangerous city districts.

No, it's more like an address including apartment number. Or in the case
of entire domains, yes it's an entire district, but you're not just
warning about it, you're building a wall around it like a ghetto. And not
letting anyone out. Hmm, seems I just provoked that law...

> > And these lists, just like the spam blacklists, have lots of mistakes with
> > catastrophic consequences.
>
> You're welcome not to use them or any provider that uses them.

But I want to communicate with those that do use it...

Flame all you want, the absoloute fact is, I'm an innocent man blocked out
from e-mailing a friend.

- ods15