[MPlayer-dev-eng] lets devoice the world ;)

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun May 14 22:32:12 CEST 2006

On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 07:22:30PM +0200, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> > > Well, I have one objection: the name. It's counter-intuitive for me. I'd
> > > very much prefer it to be called "devoice", not "karaoke".
> >
> > Nonsense, karaoke is the standard name for this operation.
>
> Nonsense, devoice is the standard name for this operation.

I said standard not arbitrarily-made-up-by-me. Google for devoice
filter then google for karaoke filter and see which one gives relevant
results.

Anyway to me devoice is completely unintuitive for a name. Devoice to
me refers to a linguistic characteristic of consonants (making them
unvoiced instead of voiced) and not to removing the center channel of
a stereo stream.

Rich