[MPlayer-dev-eng] .developer cruft

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Fri Mar 31 10:16:26 CEST 2006

On Fri, Mar 31, 2006 at 09:30:09AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > does anyone reject to:
> >
> > - removing support for .developer
> > - fixing dependencies so that version.h is handled correctly.
> > - moving the old .libdeps hack i added out of etc and making it part
> >   of the default makefile for automatic subdir dependency handling.
> > - removing the dependency on configure that forces rebuild whenever
> >   configure has changed (it's wrong anyway since configure needs to be
> >   rerun first).
>
> I have had excising all of these hacks from the build system on the ToDo
> for ages.  I'll be most happy if you beat me to it.  Does anybody
> understand the sideeffects anyway?
>
> While we're at it, why is .libdeps needed at all?

It's just a set of rules to make the main makefile recurse into
subdirectories if any files in the subdirs have changed.
Unconditionally recursing into them is also possible but would make
performance extremely bad in the common case where nothing has
changed.

Of course I'd be happiest if we could eliminate recursive make
altogether...
http://www.pcug.org.au/~millerp/rmch/recu-make-cons-harm.html

Rich