[MPlayer-dev-eng] audio_out.c question

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Mar 23 22:17:47 CET 2006

Hi,
On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:55:19PM +0200, Jan Knutar wrote:
> On Thursday 23 March 2006 22:48, Rich Felker wrote:
> > The API is exactly what's wrong with ALSA. It's disgusting
> > windows-ism: you have to use a bloated userspace library to interface
> > with the hardware rather than unix way (ioctl).
>
> After reading Alsa and OpenAL, the old way of banging the soundblaster
> hardware directly yourself starts to feel much more appealing.... :)

Hm. I don't find OpenAL so bad, it just lacks nearly all useful
features...
ALSA on the other hand seems to have a lot of features - though when I
tried I even had problems to find the corresponding free/close to
alloc/open functions (which reminds me, is there a specific way in which
the function in the alsa header are ordered?).
So far, from the programming vs. functionality standpoint I really think
JACK is best.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger