[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: MPlayer-dev-eng Digest, Vol 39, Issue 30

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Mon Mar 13 23:51:58 CET 2006

On Monday, 13 March 2006 at 20:53, Trent Piepho wrote:

> > > Join the club of people who tried to contribute to mplayer and were attacked
> > > for it.  Rich simply hates everyone and everything.  Don't bother trying to
> > > reason with them, they don't care.  No matter what you say or do they will
> > > just flame you.
> >
> > Please do not spread such FUD. Rich, knowledgeable as he is, does not speak
> > for all MPlayer developers, so I feel offended by your "they don't care"
> > and "they will just flame you" statements and I expect others feel the
> > same.
>
> When anyone who comes to offer code

No code was offered. Just a binary dll, i.e. a proprietary, closed solution.
It is true what Rich said, we don't like to support such solutions. But if it's
requested often enough, it might just encourage someone to add support.

> gets nothing but flames from Rich,

Not surprising, knowing Rich. But people might feel offended, I agree.

> he might as well speak for all mplayer developers.  When he says, "We don't
> believe in such nonsense here," is that supposed to be the royal "We" or does
> it sound like he is speaking for everyone?

I agree it does, even if it's not necessarily true.

> I don't bother trying to send my improvements back here anymore because it's
> just not worth the abuse, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
> When you get flamed for your quoting style,

This is part of the netiquette.

> the format of your diff,

This is part of our patch submission guidelines.

> or how many siginificant digits you used to approximate the decimal value of
> 30000/1001

The answer is: none, always use a fraction.

> into an email message with, it's pretty clear that what you are
> tying to offer is of little concern; you aren't welcome and will get attacked
> regardless of what you say.

No. By not doing your homework you show disrespect for our time and effort
we put into MPlayer. Had you sent your submission according to the rules,
we wouldn't have wasted our time pointing out the obvious problems.

My attitude is: ignore the flames, address only technical issues instead.
And I suggest you do the same.

Best regards,
R.

--
MPlayer developer and RPMs maintainer: http://rpm.greysector.net/mplayer/
There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times and oppression