[MPlayer-dev-eng] non-free and undistributable files in tremor/

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Sun Jul 30 02:51:50 CEST 2006

Bad news everyone!

In the tremor/ subdirectory we have 15 (!) files, namely

  backends.h
  block.c
  codebook.c
  codebook.h
  codec_internal.h
  info.c
  ivorbiscodec.h
  lsp_lookup.h
  mapping0.c
  os.h
  registry.c
  registry.h
  res012.c
  sharedbook.c
  synthesis.c

that contain the following file header:

  /********************************************************************
   * THIS FILE IS PART OF THE OggVorbis 'TREMOR' CODEC SOURCE CODE.   *
   * THE OggVorbis 'TREMOR' SOURCE CODE IS (C) COPYRIGHT 1994-2002    *
   * BY THE Xiph.Org FOUNDATION http://www.xiph.org/                  *
   * ALL REDISTRIBUTION RIGHTS RESERVED.                              *

In other words, we have been distributing non-free and undistributable
files since 2004-12-30 when Jindrich committed Tremor to CVS.

Needless to say this deserves unprecedented amounts of Cola.  But nobody
sit back and relax, we have all failed to notice this until today ...

We urgently need to act.  There are two options; we can either update
Tremor to a later version under the BSD-like Xiph license or we can rip
it out.

The tremor subdirectory weighs in at 440k, libvorbisidec.a at 125k.
FFmpeg can now decode Vorbis natively.  Time to run some benchmarks I
would say.

Diego