[MPlayer-dev-eng] dwStart (stream delay in AVI files)

Corey Hickey bugfood-ml at fatooh.org
Tue Jan 31 08:45:14 CET 2006

Oded Shimon wrote:
>>I _think_ mplayer doesn't properly use the dwStart field in the stream
>>header of AVI files. To reproduce, create a file with 10-second audio delay:
>>
>>mencoder file.avi -ovc copy -oac copy -audio-delay 10 -o delay10.avi
>>
>>MEncoder writes the audio delay in the dwStart field of the audio
>>stream. You can check it with a hex editor or with 'mplayer -v delay10.avi'.
>

> MEncoder supports -delay now anyway, you should use that... -audio-delay is
> a hack..

Are you sure? That seems to be the intended purpose of dwStart,
especially considering that Microsoft's player appears to use it that
way and -audio-delay is the documented way to adjust A-V sync with
mencoder.

Up to this moment I was thinking of using dwStart to compensate for
video decoding delay (with B-frames), but then I realized it could be
detrimental to remuxing to other containers.

Nevertheless, it still seems to me that supporting dwStart in mplayer
would be a good thing.

-Corey