[MPlayer-dev-eng] Lots of stuff for NUT

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Wed Jan 4 11:05:46 CET 2006

Hi

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 01:41:51AM -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 09:34:32PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > 9. add EOR and SOR stream flags
> >
> > EOR: abstain
> > SOR: NO
>
> SOR was my idea. IMHO there's no way you can have any sane sense of
> the dts for the first decode_delay frames after a break due to EOR,
> unless you have something like SOR to initialize the dts buffer to
> something sane (other than -1 -1 ...).
>
> If you want dts to be meaningful rather than just a pointless
> numbering, EOR without SOR is quite harmful to that goal..

well but then we would need multiple SORs ...
the meaningless initial DTS issue also occurs after seeking to any keyframe

[...]
> > 17. remove index repeation possibility
> > NO
>
> I'm against index repetition since there's no reliable way to find the
> repeated index, and since the index is 100% redundant data anyway. If
> the index is missing, index for all the parts of the file that are
> intact can be reconstructed easily. Oded's demuxer implementation
> auto-builds the full index in memory as part of its binary search
> process.

i dont agree here, videos are commonly on read only media (cd,dvd,...)
so rebuilding the index isnt possible seeks on these are slow -> binary
search is slow
finding a repeated index is trivial, just put a list of index positions
in the main header, yes it doesnt work with 1sequential pass muxing but
i think most will prefer 2 pass muxing for their cdr over a slowly seekable
cd if it gets damaged which for cdr is again not so unlikely
its just a optional feature for people who have different goals then you
AFIACS it has no disadvantages for others ...

[...]
--
Michael