[MPlayer-dev-eng] Lots of stuff for NUT

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Jan 3 12:04:49 CET 2006

Hi

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:05:47AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 08:31:57AM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:
> > 1. do the pts and back_ptr per stream in syncpoints. I want to AT LEAST try
> >    this out and really see how much overhead it is, and I'd like you guys
> >    to try to think up way to reduce overhead for it.
> >

> > I'm now gonna finally check how much overhead this idea takes.
>
> OK, first of all, here's the spec:
>
> syncpoint:
> 	syncpoint_startcode					u(64)
> 	coded_pts						v
> 	stream = coded_pts % stream_count
> 	global_pts = coded_pts / stream_count
> 	for (i=0; i<stream_count; i++) {
> 		if (i != stream) {
> 			coded_pts				v
> 			back_ptr_div8				v
> 			pts[i] = covert_ts(global_pts, timebase[stream], timebase[i])
> 			pts[i] -= coded_pts
> 		} else {
> 			back_ptr_div8				v
> 			pts[i] = global_pts
> 		}
> 	}
>

> Now, here are the numbers:
>
> just pts in global timebase:     Syncpoints: 27674 size: 315730
> single back_ptr and pts:         Syncpoints: 27678 size: 391804
> single pts, per stream back_ptr: Syncpoints: 27675 size: 441061
> The above spec:                  Syncpoints: 27676 size: 459898
>

> All of these are for a normal 2 stream 700mb audio video file.
>
> Unless you proove otherwise Michael, back_ptr is essential, so the
> additional 70kb is not horribly bloating, and it meets every one of the
> goals. Also, assuming <200kb index, the total overhead for the entire 700mb
> file is less than 1mb, this is still far less than ANY container that
> exists today. (mkv with lacing is 1.5mb for this file, without lacing is
> 2.5mb iirc)

well my critique against this is that you have choosen the testcase so your
method will have least overhead
why not try low bitrate (phone modem speed) with a few subtitle streams

i really think its unfair that you guys attack my suggestions with non
existing weird stuff like non one-in one-out codecs on tape while your
stuff is shown in the most ideal case :)

[...]
--
Michael