[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: [MPlayer-users] OSX: disable "auto-sleep" while playing a video?

gabor gabor at nekomancer.net
Tue Feb 7 01:43:43 CET 2006

Nicolas Plourde wrote:

> On 6-Feb-06, at 5:24 PM, Alexander Strange wrote:
>

>> On Feb 6, 2006, at 7:01 AM, gabor wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> i use mac osx.
>>>
>>> the problem is that when i'm watching something in mplayer, the
>>> system seems to interpret it as 'nothing is happening', and acts
>>> accordingly:
>>>
>>> 1. lowers the brightness of the screen after some time
>>> 2. probably would later turn off the display, but i never wait so long.
>>>

>>> after #1, simply moving the cursor around a little helps, but it gets
>>> a little annoying after some time.
>>
>> This patch fixes this for vo_macosx (but not sdl or quartz).
>>

> This is already done in the check_events function and my system never go
> to sleep while watching movies. Can you explain how to reproduce this
> behavior?

actually it was me who started this "discussion" on mplayer-users
(http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.mplayer.user/cutoff=41716)
and my powerbook laptop many times lowers the brightness of the display
while watching a video, and as far as i know, this lower-the-brigtness
effect happens before the display goes to sleep. (i normally just touch
the touchpad in such cases. i never waited long enough for the display
to go to sleep...maybe i should once).

i can do some more definitive testing tomorrow, if it helps.

gabor