[MPlayer-dev-eng] .TiVo file support (fwd)

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Sun Dec 17 01:10:23 CET 2006

Jeremy Drake wrote:

>I mean, I don't trust other code to initialize things for me, I tend to
>always do it myself just to be sure.  Unless it is clearly and strictly
>defined that this will be initialized to zero, I don't like to rely on
>undocumented postconditions.

I'll reject code that meddles with structures that it shouldn't touch.
new_demux_packet() already initializes everything as it should

>I would appreciate any suggestions for seek functionality and for getting
>the progress bar correctly knowing how far into the file I am.

before every call to ds_add_packet() assign:
demuxer->filepos=stream_tell(demuxer->stream);

>I thought
>that was what dp->pos was for, but apparently I was proved wrong.  How
>then do I get it to know where I am?  And where the end is?  It would be
>very nice to seek, but at the moment the contents of MPEG packets are
>opaque to me for the most part, and as I understand it to write a real
>bona-fide seek function I would need to find pts timestamp things from the
>packets and bitrates and things which up to now my code has no need to
>figure out.  Would be really nice to leverage the existing mpeg code for
>this, as the format of the file past the special header is completely
>compatible with standard MPEG files (I think TiVo did this on purpose to
>make their lives easier with their MPEG codec hardware).

today I've been busy with the output stream patch; tomorrow I'll look into
this seeking issue