[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: New translation system

Andriy N. Gritsenko andrej at lucky.net
Mon Dec 4 10:39:50 CET 2006

    Hi, Michael Niedermayer!

Sometime (on Monday, December  4 at  3:59) I've received something...
>btw, speaking of translators, they probably should participate in the
>selection/design of a translation system ...

    Get my 5 cents. As one of translators I've found the gettext .po
format VERY preferrable. Reasons:

1) it checks string formats for me (i.e. each printf macro %s etc.);
2) it notifies me if there were changes in the string (fuzzy notify);
3) it merges untranslated/changed strings into translation file so I don't
   need the hell of copypasting them from diff;
4) it automatically includes all transtateable strings so no programmer
   need to allocate unused #define and move it into base translation (see
   also previous reason).

So from translator's point of view gettext system is the best one.

    With best wishes.
    Andriy.