[MPlayer-dev-eng] Two projects violate GPL with mplayer-based code

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 15:00:03 CET 2006

2006/11/27, Ilia Bazliancov <ilia at bulgra.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I got some complaints today, that two Bulgarian companies violate GPL by
> distributing mplayer-based software, without it`s source code.
>
> Here are the two:
>
> 1. The first one is MediaONE Player (http://mop.mediaone.bg)
>
> * It`s for watching online TV from the Bulgarian biggest warez site. :(
>
> "MOP is a video and audio player, based on mplayer. "
>
> and the download only links to http://mop.mediaone.bg/MOP-1.19.exe
>
> It`s possible that they made the site accessible only from Bulgaria, if
> so, email me to send you a static copy of the site.
>
> You can contact the site directly: http://arenabg.com/feedback.php

The file you are pointing tois installer that installs MOP.exe
frontend and mplayer.exe.
It is obvious that MOP.exe is closed FrontEnd. There is License file
that contains
the license for it. The same file contains and GPL text (probably for
mplayer.exe).

I cannot say that mplayer.exe contains modified code, despite the fact
that the banner does show UNKNOWN revision (I guess this could be
result of missing .svn/ entries).

If somebody wants to make closer inspection of the mplayer.exe, feel
free to mail me.

So far our official policy is to allow packaging of mplayer.exe with
proprietary frontends. I do think that this is gpl violation, but rest
of developers don't agree (or care).

> 2. The second one is MEGALAN player, a player by one Bulgarian ISP for
> watching tv in their network.
> (http://www.megalan.bg/item_details.php?id=114)
>
> The download only links to
> http://software.megalan.bg/MegaTV/MegaTVSetup.exe which gives error 403,
> so it might be restricted only to clients of the ISP.
>
> You can contact the ISP here:
> ICQ: 268896075, 430515082 , 450591829
> info at megalan.bg and support at megalan.bg

This player seem to be based on VLC. There is libvlc.dll and about 200
files in plugins/ .

The MegaTV.ini/exe files show that there have been obvious
modifications of the source OR
they link proprietary application with GPL library. First seems more
probable. It is also possible that original VLC.exe is smart enough to
detect it's own name and look for similar .ini file.

I also cannot spot any License file and the installer doesn't seem to
show any license info.
There are also files to MegaTVUpate.exe/cli/ico, that are most
probably proprietary.

However this is not MPlayer problem.

If somebody from VideoLan is interested i could send the installer to him.

С най-добри пожелания