[MPlayer-dev-eng] Too big buffer in "libmpcodecs/ad_pcm.c"?

Branimir Amidzic tmp at ambra.rs.ba
Wed Aug 9 11:32:13 CEST 2006

I need assistance regarding security fix to ad_pcm.c that was comitted
to CVS on Thu Aug 25 19:46:20 2005 UTC.

Here are references:
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html#vuln12
http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-cvslog/2005-August/022714.html

This was only fix that was introduced in MPlayer-1.0pre7try2.

Since than buffer size is maximum possible:
len = maxlen - maxlen % len;

This big buffer produces preformance loss when running mencoder at high
priority (e.g. nice -n -20 mencoder...). Running mencoder at high
priority is rather necessary whan grabbing video from TV card in order
not to lose frames.

So, my question is: *is it safe to use smaller buffer?*
For example minimum possible: len = ((minlen + len) / len) * len.

Thank you in advance.