[MPlayer-dev-eng] Change pts values to use doubles instead of floats

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Apr 25 07:21:27 CEST 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 03:07:16AM +0300, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 19:39 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> > Except that it makes patches larger and harder to read, which IIRC is
> > the primary reason such changes are indeed forbidden by policy (except
> > perhaps as part of a specific cosmetics patch).
> >
> > Case in point: I was distracted enough by the moving of the brace that I
> > failed entirely to notice the change from "float" to "double".
>
> While I won't argue that the particular whitespace change mentioned was
> necessary, I think the objection against it doesn't have much merit
> either. It was reformatting a line which was changed anyway, thus it
> didn't add any new chunks to the patch. If you really were "distracted"
> enough to miss what changed in the chunk I think the blame for that
> belongs fully on you, not on the patch.

No, the blame belongs on the patch. This is the perfect example of why
we have the rule in MPlayer that mixing cosmetics and functional
changes are not allowed. In this case, during casual reading of the
patch your eyes are drawn to the formatting change and can easily
overlook the functional change. You can argue that people should read
patches more closely, but quite frankly we have a hard time keeping up
with reviewing patches as-is. The rules are in place to make reviewing
easier and less error-prone.

Aside from that, it's considered rude to reformat code for which you
are not the maintainer.

Rich