[MPlayer-dev-eng] getting rid of recursive make

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Apr 23 14:40:47 CEST 2006

Moin,

Some weeks ago we discussed about getting rid of recursive
make, while retaining the whole semantics. At that time
i said that i have an idea how this can be achieved, but
i have to test it first myself.

Well, here it comes.

The whole idea is based on usage of variable names in
targets. Ie each target is tagged with a variable
in which directory it is. This way it is possible to
include makefiles from any position within
the tree.

I made two variants of this approach, makestuff.tar.gz
contains the two-file approach and makestuff-onefile.tar.gz
the one-file aproach.
The two-file should be simpler to understand, the one-file
easier to maintain (one file less, and easier transition).

Have a look at it and let me know what you like/dislike
and if you have better ideas.

			Attila Kinali
--
心をこめて聞け心をこめて話せ