[MPlayer-dev-eng] pre8 update

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Apr 22 06:55:37 CEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 03:17:21AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 11:33:41AM -0400, Rich Felker wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 11:59:19AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > > We can discuss this on LinuxTag.  There will be enough devs there to
> > > reach a consensus and given the nature of real life discusssions we will
> > > come to a decision in a limited amount of time.
> >
> > How convenient since me and the other people who oppose this nonsense
> > versioning won't be there...
>
> Which nonsense versioning are you talking about?  If you talk about
> skipping 1.0 or Ubuntu schemes then rest assured that I dislike them
> just as much as you.
>
> This is a bikeshed discussion.  Two points should be clear

Get over your bikesheds dude. Did you just discover that word a few
weeks ago? :) You're using it all the time now.

> - the current versioning scheme sucks
> - therefore we need to replace it by some other sane scheme

In all honesty, yes, the current system sucks, especially the whole
"pre" thing. However version number inflation, random version numbers,
and meaningless version numbers also suck. If we really want to use
something as meaningless as the date then we should just drop version
numbers/releases altogether and release snapshots of known good
versions labelled with the date....

> If we decide to discuss this here it's going to be a month-long battle
> of attrition.  We just need to settle on *something*.  Believe me, I'm
> not looking forward to discussing this, but unfortunately it just needs
> to be done.

It was already discussed here IIRC and we reached some reasonable
conclusions, though I don't remember exactly. My preference was (and
still is) to release pre8 according to schedule, then release rc1 and
1.0 final with the intention that they incorporate the main usability
(dvdnav, ssa) and functionality (nut, maybe nemesi, ...?) items
currently on the agenda.

Rich