[MPlayer-dev-eng] pre8 update

Robert Swain robert.swain at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 17:31:44 CEST 2006

On Friday 21 April 2006 09:19, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:57:23AM +0300, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
> [..]
>
> > Probably we should start a vote for the new name. Everybody free to
> > choose and also give new name schemes. Everybody can change their
> > vote. Deadline 1 day before the release.
> >
> > 1. old, MPlayer-1.0pre8
> > 2. release candidate, MPlayer-1.0rc1
> > 3. using date, MPlayer-1.6.4
> > 4. jumping over 1.0 , MPlayer-1.0.8
> > ???
>
> I would add a 5th one:
>
> 5. MPlayer-YYYYMMDD
> e.g. MPlayer-20060424
>
> which would avoid the discussion for bumping a major or minor version at a
> later point again.

If 5. is acceptable, 5., though I would be tempted to modify it to
year.release, or year.month and nothing more. Then bugfix releases, if anyone
steps up for more frequent releases just for bugs and maintains branches of
code or something like that, can be named year.release.bugfix_release or
something along those lines. If none of those are acceptable, 4..

I really don't like others personally. 3. makes little sense to me and 1. and
2. suggest feature freeze, frequent short term releases to iron out bugs for
a final release of 1.0. I don't think that's the plan so neither make sense.

Just my humble thoughts...
Rob