[MPlayer-dev-eng] pre8 update

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 08:57:23 CEST 2006

2006/4/21, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx>:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 01:06:09AM +0200, Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > BTW: we should kick those guys ass. This is exactly the
> > > same behaviour that lead to the gcc two dot ninetysix fiasco
> > > a few years ago.
> >
> > Also we decided to name the next release 1.6.4. 6.4 stands for 2006
> > april, and the 1 prefix is there for not incrementing major version one
> > to six.
>
> Why is "we"? I am _strongly_ against this!! The same thing was
> discussed a year ago and rejected.

We need to get rid of the preX. We are not making prerelease, we are
making releases.
It seems people are too scared by the big 1.0 and wait somebody else
to tell them mplayer is enough stable for the big release. We will
never do 1.0 this way.

I would support any schema that don't have pre in the name.
(as compromise l would even support the similarly ugliest rc1).

Probably we should start a vote for the new name. Everybody free to
choose and also give new name schemes. Everybody can change their
vote. Deadline 1 day before the release.

1. old, MPlayer-1.0pre8
2. release candidate, MPlayer-1.0rc1
3. using date, MPlayer-1.6.4
4. jumping over 1.0 , MPlayer-1.0.8