[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Wed Nov 30 06:25:32 CET 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 11:00:53PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
>
> >Hi, On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 09:02:06PM +0200, Oded Shimon wrote:

> >>Well, what if some asshat does "-o avi". :) Should I give the
> >>warning then?
> >
> >IMHO no, I don't consider this an extension, and I'm quite sure none
> >of the file managers will (I know for windows, linux luckily is
> >useable without one *g*)
>
> I agree on all counts - I didn't think this through thoroughly (ha!
> alliteration!) before sending my last post. I'd consider it annoying, if
> not necessarily a bug, to get that error message for having specified a
> filename with no extension at all (which is going to be rather more
> common, for me, than specifying a filename with an extension which does
> not match the container format).

So, to understand you guys correctly, if there is no extention, you want me
to NOT show the warning at ALL?...

Regarding your other mail - yes, it should be done for ALL muxers, not just
MPEG, but the funny part is, the MPEG muxer IS all the muxers. lavf needs
no change, and not rawvideo or rawaudio. avi is already the default, so
just mpeg. it is possible to tell between user explicit 'test.avi' than the
default, but it would require some code changes...

- ods15