[MPlayer-dev-eng] Slackware package (tgz, like deb/rpm) support

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Nov 12 19:50:54 CET 2005

On Sat, Nov 12, 2005 at 10:40:23AM +0200, Ivan Kalvachev wrote:

> > > I disabled it because Slackware appears to not use it.
> >
> > No dist includes it because it' spart of mplayer. You have to install
> > it manually if you want it. But users may want it, and it does no harm
> > (no added dependencies, tiny code size) to include it.
>
> I am for keeping mga removed.
> That's because mga driver is not part of the kernel, so mplayer
> package should install it (even compile it for the given kernel) or
> let the user do it (it that case the user is already skilled enough to
> compile mplayer on him own).

There are two options:
1. Stupidly omit mga from mplayer binary. Then users who want it have
to compile all of mplayer AND the mga_vid kernel module.
2. Include mga in mplayer binary. Then users who want it only have to
compile the kernel module.

Obviously option 2 is better in the absence of any other
problems/issues.

> Giving that the number of lusers that have matrox card (~ ->0), it
> just doesn't worth the trouble.

What trouble????

That's right, there is no trouble. This vo module is tiny and has no
possibility to do anything wrong! It's there if people want it, and if
not, they can ignore it. IMO there shouldn't even be a --disable
option for features like this, much less should we disable them in
packages..

Rich