[MPlayer-dev-eng] Slackware package (tgz, like deb/rpm) support

Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Thu Nov 10 02:05:33 CET 2005

On Monday, 07 November 2005 at 17:29, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
> On Friday, 04 November 2005 at 19:33, Herbert Alexander Faleiros wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > thanks for your comments (Arpi), patch attached.
>
> I wish you'd sent the whole files, not a patch, since you didn't send
> any files before.
>
> Please read http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/binary-packaging.txt
> and make sure your packaging complies with these guidelines.
>
> I will make a comment when you've posted complete files.

Well, I took a look anyway. Here are my comments:

* external ffmpeg is a big no-no, we require only static
  libav{codec,format,util} linking and it must be a matching
  CVS snapshot or the one included with the release

* faad2 - well, we're already shipping our own patched libfaad2,
  so this is bad as well

* liba52 and libdvdcss - same as above

  So essentially, it should only require lame and mplayer-codecs.

* don't disable mga/xmga

* bitmap fonts - isn't freetype always available on Slackware?
  It would be best to use freetype and - for example - the Nimbus
  Sans Type1 font from ghostscript (it's GPL'd)

* default skin - why did you change it to Abyss? It should be Blue

Do you intend to provide binary packages at all?
If so, I might have a few more comments.

Regards,

R.