[MPlayer-dev-eng] Does MEncoder support pipe?

Fri Mar 25 02:00:18 CET 2005

Hi Xie Bo!

 On 2005.03.25 at 08:11:17 +0800, Xie Bo wrote next:

> > mkfifo file.avi
> >
> > on one terminal run mplayer command line that I wrote, on another
> > terminal run
> > ffmpeg -i file.avi -f 3gp -vcodec copy -acodec amr_nb file.3gp
>
> I know UNIX/Linux user can use mkfifo to make fifo named pipe,but MS
> Windows doesn't support this function/feature.  If I want to pipe

You are wrong, windows supports real pipes and fifos. This feature, as
well as other ones (like mount points and limited symlink support) are
just hidden in fancy guis... Of course, you filesystem must be NTFS.

I'm not sure if there is standart windows tool to create fifo, but
mkfifo or mknod from cygwin probably will be able to create one.

> MEncoder + FFMPEG in windows, how to do it?  (FFMPEG doesn't support
> DVD DeCSS but MPlayer supports it and I think MEncoder should support
> it. Then I want to use MEncoder do DeCSS and DVD Decoder and let
> FFMPEG do 3GP Encoder.)

Do you really have no other choices? Using mencoder just to access to
dvd and using 3gp encoder from ffmpeg both look like strange ideas to
me...

Btw, this is the wrong list...

--

Vladimir