[MPlayer-dev-eng] Does MEncoder support pipe?

Xie Bo bxie at sjtu.edu.cn
Sun Mar 20 14:36:02 CET 2005

> mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=800:mbd=2 -oac pcm -ofps 24 svcdfile -o file.avi
> ffmpeg -i file.avi -acodec amr_nb -vcodec copy -f 3gp file.3gp
>
> anyway I couldn't find amr_nb.
> Additionally this is mplayer-dev-eng, not mplayer-users

Sorry, I ask the question here is to ensure whether mencoder supports pipe out. (mencoder man page only shows a pipe sample). ("pipe out" means write to stdout, and "pipe in" means receive data from stdin).
And your above command is not pipe, neither pipe in nor pipe out. You use mencoder to write a file.avi instead of stdout and use ffmpeg read data from file.avi instead of stdin.
Why I want to use pipe? Because your above sample command need to write a big file.avi to hard disk and pipe doesn't need it!

Best Regards,
Xie Bo