[MPlayer-dev-eng] workaround for SEGFAULTs during rtsp download

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Sat Mar 12 09:43:18 CET 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005, Willem de Bruijn wrote:
> Therefore the problem is either in malloc(), and thus outside of mplayer's
> scope. But a libc bug in malloc would be unexpected. Or it must be in

A crash in malloc invariable means that the heap was corrupted by overwriting
past the end of a malloced array or incorrect use of free().  It's very
unlikely that it's a malloc bug.

> I'd let loose valgrind if I could, but that's not available for 64bit AFAIK.
> For now I would leave it as it is. My own mplayer is hacked so that it works

Can you use electricfence?  You might also look at the use the memory malloced
before the one that crashes, and see if it overwrites the end of the array.
Maybe some code assumes sizeof(int)==sizeof(void*), which isn't true on
x86-64, is it?