[MPlayer-dev-eng] Two feasible solutions to avoid troubles caused by trivial software patents

Dirk noisyb at gmx.net
Sat Jun 25 12:34:40 CEST 2005

Rich Felker wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 02:15:42PM +0200, Dirk wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>1) Drastic solution:
>>In China there is *NO* software patent from LAW's prospective. If you
>>

>Yes, there's just a total lack of freedom of speech instead. No
>thanks...

Yes.. Yes... "And if you want to kill a chinese you write him an email..."

At least developers have some liberties there that are cut here.

>>2) Technical solution:
>>Use Bittorrent to download difficult-to-develop (trivial-patent) codecs
>>dynamically during runtime. I'm writing a audio player that will play
>>everything-that-makes-noise and which will maybe use Bittorrent or just
>>http for downloading codecs from the project site in china.
>>
>>Stop whining and show them the consequences.
>>

>No one is whining, you're just clueless about strategy.
>
>Rich

Reading and bookmarking http://www.ffii.org/ and signing every new,
newer and latest petition of this inflation of petitions _sure_ did help.

But maybe you really have a strategy that I and everyone else who
outsources to China can't think of.

Dirk