[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: "Core dumped :)" -> "Stream core dumped :)" maybe less confusing?

Joey Parrish joey at nicewarrior.org
Sun Jun 19 17:57:30 CEST 2005

On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 02:33:13AM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
> >IMO it doesn't preserve the joke. The joke is thinking for a split
> >second "wtf, mplayer just crashed?!?" then seeing the smiley face. :)
>
> And if that were always what happened, it'd be just fine - but as has
> been demonstrated on multiple occasions, people do not necessarily
> notice the smiley face, and/or don't interpret it as meaning "this isn't
> really an error"; it's not just borderline computer-illiterate people,
> either, since if I hadn't been exposed to the message beforehand by
> reading discussions of it I wouldn't have interpreted it correctly.. You
> disagree that this is sufficient to warrant changing the message (and
> probably removing the joke), and so does the apparent developer
> consensus, but I have yet to see any counter to the fact that multiple
> people *have* had enough difficulty with it to come to the mailing list
> in the past. (Although I believe we haven't had any so far this year.)

Yeah, I was confused when I first read it.  I tried tracing the source
code for -dump* and then discovered that it was a joke.  Only then did I
understand.  Of course, that was years ago.  Now I've had time to become
an elitist.  :)

--Joey

--
"I tell you:  one must still have chaos in oneself to give
birth to a dancing star!" --Nietzsche