[MPlayer-dev-eng] [Patch] swscale on gcc4+amd64

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 09:49:06 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 6/7/05, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 02:06:09PM +0000, Mean wrote:
> > Hello
> > The attached patch enabled me to compile postproc/ on amd64 with gcc4
> > and gcc 3.3.5
> > Thanks
>
> I read the asm diffs and they're mostly trivial. It would be nice if
> someone could benchmark this too and make sure it doesn't hurt
> performance, but otherwise I'm ok with it..

Ivan briefly explained to on IRC me yesterday that ffmpeg featured the
macros START_TIMER("func_name") and STOP_TIMER("func_name"), which
prints the figures on the console.
I think that this will look like something like this:
2287 dezicycles in loop_vl_16bit, 1048386 runs, 190 skips

Problem is: I don't know what all those figures mean: I guess we want
"dezicycles" to always be at least the same between 2 runs, or lower
in case the second run is an optimized one.
As for "runs" and "skips", I'm not sure what they mean.

Ok now, but where am I supposed to put those timer calls? right
*before* an ASM block? At the *beginning* of an ASM block...

So many questions... really sorry for all the trouble.
--
I should have invented the tape recorder,
that way people would have more quotes of