[MPlayer-dev-eng] Re: Problem compiling mplayer for PowerPC + AltiVec

Marcin 'Morgoth' Kurek morgoth6 at box43.pl
Mon Jul 11 18:06:50 CEST 2005

Hell[o] Diego,

On 2005-07-09, you wrote:

> Could you try to pinpoint the date when it broke?  Just try some CVS
> snapshots and find out on which date it stopped working.

First sorry because the delay, I was away this weekend. Anyway I was able to
do a small investigation and I think locate the source of my problem.

First I visit http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/cvs/ (I can't use cvs because
dead slow inet connection) and locate the place when it starts to fail.

The first broken version is dated to 20050531, I can normaly compile 20050530
version using gcc 3.4.4.

It seems the problem is not related to any change in the source code but to a
compiler flag. The problematic flag is -std=gnu99 added somewhere in 20050531
snapshot. When I switched to default gnu89 I was able to compile cvs version of mplayer without any problem using both gcc 3.4.4 and 4.0.1.

I wonder is there a good idea to use this flag ? Acording to the GCC manuals
this standard is not fully implemented and the default gnu89 still allows to use many
of the 99 features.

Regards
--
 :: Morgoth/Dreamolers-CAPS && TBS ::