[MPlayer-dev-eng] New remove-logo filter

Trent Piepho xyzzy at speakeasy.org
Thu Feb 24 01:15:29 CET 2005

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> > Since mplayer is probably already linked with libpng, wouldn't it be easy to
> > support png images?
>
> imo it's extra bloat and little point. we could also support all kinds

If mplayer already has libpng for other reasons, then you just have to compare
the difference between the code to use it, vs the code for a pgm decoder and
loader.  It's not clear to me that using libpng would be more complex than
writing a loader for pgm images.  I suppose I can always write the code and
see.

> of images... but unless/until mplayer has a common image-loader api,
> it's really ugly bloat to put all kinds of image-loaders (and all the
> #ifdefs needed to check for each crappy lib) in every single filter
> that needs to load an image file...

Just make the entire filter depend on configure finding libpng, which it
already looks for.  Once you support png, there really isn't any point to
supporting another format.  The advantage of png is that you can use a
compressed bitmap instead of an uncompressed greyscale image, and you could
use png images as well for the alpha-blending filter.  In fact, you could use
the SAME png images for both filters.