[MPlayer-dev-eng] Mplayer: PT_GNU_STACK RWE

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed Feb 23 20:01:45 CET 2005

Hi,
On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 01:19:51PM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 18:36 +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 12:19:17PM -0500, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> >>
> >> Tell me which options you'd like me to try to disable binary codec
> >> support...
> >
> >./configure --disable-win32 --disable-dshow --disable-qtx --disable-xanim --disable-real
>
> Ok fair enough - no binary codecs, no RWE.
> So one possible solution is to compile mplayer without binary codec
> support. The problem is that Fedora users will download the one at
> Livna.org, which has binary codec support, and it won't work with strict
> policy. It won't even start, whether they have binary codecs, or not.

Better just apply the attached patch. Binary codecs that do not run with
noexecstack also won't run on WinXPSP2 with "Data Execution Protection"
activated, so if the codec is still maintained there should be a codec
that works with it.
But IMHO SELinux is for people that care about security and then binary
codec support definitly should be disabled (not to say you better should
use no media player at all *g* ) - so a separate package
actually seems a much better idea to me.

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger