[MPlayer-dev-eng] Soft volume clip methods

Zoltan Hidvegi mplayer at hzoli.2y.net
Mon Feb 21 18:55:37 CET 2005

Alex Beregszaszi wrote:
> Dunno, but your functions reduce dynamic range hardly, maybe you would
> need to rescale and leave the [-1.0, +1.0] samples as is.

I'm not sure what do you mean.  The goal of a volume clip function is
to bring the out of bounds values back in range.  It should have
minimal effect on samples within the range.  When you says it "reduce
dynamic range hardly", do you mean it reduces the range too much, or
you mean it does not reduce it enough?  This is not volume
normalizing, the goal is to keep the dynamic range as much as
possible, but bring the OOB values down.  You cannot rescale, because
that would affect even the quiet parts, which you would like to leave
alone.  This also means that you cannot leave [-1,1] alone, because
that already uses up the full range, so you have no room left to put
the OOB values.

Zoli