[MPlayer-dev-eng] DVD ripping tool / mencoder issues

Mark Gjøl cyrax at b0rken.dk
Wed Feb 16 23:43:00 CET 2005

I have made a relatively userfriendly bash script for ripping dvds
with mencoder. Can be found at http://b0rken.dk/dvdrip . When doing this
I have found that mencoder delays the sound with about 200ms, which I
have successfully compensated for by using the -af delay=-200:-200
option. Unfortunatly this is impossible if I want AC3 audio, since a
direct stream copy doesn't go well with audio filters. I also tried
using the lavc AC3 encoder, but this yields a terrible result (lavc
issue, not mencoder, though).

Is the mencoder development team aware of this issue (Do you consider it
an issue)? While the audio can easilly be corrected in mplayer, I don't
consider it satisfactory that the output is flawed.

Other than that I get incredible results with mencoder! Awesome stuff!
:D

--
// Mark Gjøl
I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting. But it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously.