[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo at opendot.cl
Wed Dec 14 07:17:54 CET 2005

On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 12:29:02AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet wrote:

> >>...I'm sorry to say it, but this is so ungrammatical that I don't
> >>think I can figure out what all of it means.
> >
> >I was this '' close to flame you here. Anyway, Ill try harder the
> >next time, sorry.
>
> Sorry... I did try to rephrase this to be as inoffensive as possible,
> but it didn't come out very well. For what it's worth, the main place
> where I couldn't figure out what you went was in "by the time been";
> everything else was parseable without excessive difficulty.

No prob, thanks for trying

> >Ok, how about this:
> >
> >Mencoder in its _current_ state cant properly guess* output file
> >extension, so, it should not try to => force -o
>
> I don't see why it can't - or, rather, why it can't easily be made to.
> Could you enlighten me?

Sure i can, leave out -o and use whatever muxer you like, see what
the outpput filename is after that. Fact is, mencoder CANT guess
properly because for the various muxer combinations he has just
one answer: test.avi

I know you knew that.

Could someone implement some logic on mencoder to use an apropiate
default filename extension for the muxer been used?

sure.

Did someone?

no.

Will someone?

hard to know.

=>

"Mencoder in its _current_ state cant properly guess* output file
extension"

> >>I don't think it's ideal, as I've said, but it's certainly the
> >>second-best choice.
> >
> >Is the only one with a patch.
>
> True enough. ^_^

;)

> >>First I'd need to know exactly *where* the "o= can go in the config
> >>file" explanation should be put; the two obvious places are "under
> >>the -o option in the man page" and "in the same place where the
> >>config file itself is explained", but I'm not sure the former is
> >>enough and I don't know where the latter is.
> >
> >Pick the former, is enough IMHO.
>
> Acknowledged. I'll get to that as soon as I have the time when I'm sure
> I'm not going to mess it up from subliminal tiredness.

Thanks, if youre going to do that, please grab and apply my patch and
post the full one ;) I guess we have some time.

Best regards

  Reynaldo