[MPlayer-dev-eng] [SURVEY] change mencoder's default ofilename extension?

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Dec 13 20:21:15 CET 2005

Oded Shimon wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 13, 2005 at 01:13:50PM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:

>>> But people are forgetful and make mistakes.  Somebody might put
>>> the test.avi somewhere and later forget that it was in fact an
>>> MPEG file. She might pass it on to somebody and that person might
>>> not be able to play it.
>>>
>>> It would not take much effort from our side to add a little bit
>>> of intelligence to MEncoder, so why not provide users the
>>> convenience?
>>
>> And this is, at the base, the exact reasoning involved.
>>
>> Besides that, my main objection was that you were coming into a
>> discussion of "how to fix problem A" and saying "let's fix problem
>> B, so that problem A becomes less of a problem, and then ignore the
>> remaining problem". If you don't think that the original topic is a
>> problem, that's fine, but a thread where people are discussing it
>> as a problem is not the most appropriate place to come in with the
>> unstated assumption that it is not a problem.
>
> I didn't mean to do that, I was thinking the original thread was all
> about the problem I'm talking about, and was corrected after I sent
> the patch. If I had known that problem A was really the problem you
> were discussing, I probably would've never butted in. I'm sorry about
> all this...

Acknowledged.

> BTW, in all ways, I am completely against muxer picked extention. I
> don't know of any encoder which does this today, so you can't say
> it's expected behavior, and the extention can vary wildly even within
> the same muxer. Besides the obvious examples of -of mpeg which can
> also be .vob and -of lavf which can be almost anything, there's also
> -of rawvideo which could be just raw yuv, .mp4, and .264 and some
> other weird stuff, same with -of rawaudio. So, please, pick whatever
> solution you want to the problem, except this.

I'll note, first, that I would never support automatic extension based
on container in any case *except* when no output filename was specified.

Other than that, I can only repeat that it can hardly be less correct to
use one of the selection of potentially valid extensions rather than
using a known-invalid extension.

-of raw* I'll admit that I'm not sure how to handle; perhaps
specifically use no extension, or ".rawvideo" or the like?

If we can't come to an agreement on the subject, then it would probably
be best to settle on my second-choice solution, making '-o' mandatory
and documenting very clearly the ability to set it in the config file.

--
       The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.