[MPlayer-dev-eng] new gui

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Dec 11 23:52:59 CET 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 02:53:54PM -0500, Jason Tackaberry wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-12-11 at 14:31 -0500, Rich Felker wrote:
> > - it will look like utter crap on low-resolution movies (think 160x112
> >   or even 64x64)
>
> This can be solved with software scaling.  For output to my NTSC
> television, I do -vf scale=640:-2,expand=640:480,overlay.  This
> performance penalty here isn't a big deal for any reasonably current
> computer.

I suspect we have different ideas of reasonably current. Anyway if you
have a shitty 160x112 video you probably want to use heavy vf_spp and
other things to repair it to make it watchable.. After this you're
likely to have very little cpu time left...

Of course maybe we can assume gui users are ignorant and don't care to
postprocess, etc...?

> > - on high resolution movies it's a HUGE performance hit due to
> >   additional memcpy of the whole frame along with the alpha blending.
> >   afaik there is no workaround for this (i studied it heavily during
> >   mplayer g2 development before it was abandoned).
>
> In general, applying _any_ filters to high resolution video (HDTV

No, by high resolution I mean DVD and up. Not HDTV. I consider HDTV
unplayable.

> Dealing with high resolution content pretty much rules out most kinds of
> software post-processing, and to even play the stuff you need hardware
> support.  So yes, overlaying content on high resolution video is
> problematic, but the same can be said about any post-processing.

The comparison is not to other filters, but to running with no filter.

> Of course, when your interface depends on this, then I agree, you
> definitely have a problem.  This is partly the reason I abandoned the

Yes. That was my point.

Rich