[MPlayer-dev-eng] HW for open standard video and audio formats

Luca Barbato lu_zero at gentoo.org
Thu Apr 21 21:47:55 CEST 2005

Svante Signell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm about to announce some Master Thesis subjects at my school on
> hardware encoders and decoders for open standard video and audio as well
> as container formats replacing the licence bound MPEG2,MPEG4,MP3 etc
> standards. Below is what I have found so far:
First of all: there are MANY problematic patents (as in illegal) that
would make about everything bind to them. So even if you see certain
claims be sure that you will find somebody that holds a patent about the
procedure you are using (eg, Vorbis vs Thompson)

> Video: Ogg Theora, Nut?
You mean snow, nobody is sure about wavelet patents around.
> Audio: Ogg Vorbis, flac?
maybe sonic? (Keep in mind that is just an experimental codec that isn't
working so bad as an experiment)
> Container: Matroska, Ogg, Nut?
Nut is a container, yes =)
> Any open standard for 5.1 (or higher) audio available?
You should ask Alex since he was working on something about that. vorbis
 supports already multiple channels.

> What about HDTV resolutions?
snow should handle that nicely IMHO.
> Comments, corrections and other ideas are appreciated.

I'm more or less working on the same topics for my master thesis, but
I'm focused on streaming and standards on streaming instead on hw
encoders. Probably we could do some work together.

lu

--

Luca Barbato

Gentoo/linux Developer		Gentoo/PPC Operational Manager
http://dev.gentoo.org/~lu_zero