[MPlayer-dev-eng] H261 encoding And Mplayer

Loren Merritt lorenm at u.washington.edu
Sun Nov 21 23:37:46 CET 2004

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, sting sting wrote:

> in mplayer: (Version MPlayer-1.0pre5 )
> in  /etc/codecs.conf, we have:
> videocodec m261
> info "M261"
> status untested
> fourcc m261,M261
> driver vfw
> dll "msh261.drv"
> out BGR32,BGR24,BGR15
>
> This configuration file is probably for mplayer
> which runs in winodows (the msh261.drv driver resides
> from a windows system folder), and in this I am interested.
>
> My question is : where in the mplayer code do we use this
> driver ? I assume it is for H261 encoding ; but I could not find it in the
> code.

Everything in codecs.conf is for decoding only. MPlayer on Linux can use
many win32 binary codecs, and this is one of them. These codecs aren't
ever specifically referred to in the code, they're all under vd_vfw or
vd_vfwex.

To encode H.261, use "-ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=h261". There have been
some recent patches related to H.261, so you'll want to use a CVS
version.

--Loren Merritt