[MPlayer-dev-eng] finalizing nut!

gabor gabor at z10n.net
Wed May 26 23:12:44 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 16:12 -0400, D Richard Felker III wrote:
> nt forget about
> > "character set encoding"...
>
> I suppose that's part of the stream header for text streams.
> Personally I would be tempted to forbid anything but UTF8; however
> there are too many stupid people who would just break the rule anyway
> to put their bad encodings...

no...please be strict on this...

imho:

i don't know what subtitle formats are allowed in nut, but if there is
no list specified:

1. if the subtitle format defines an encoding type (for example it
forces it to be latin1), then let them be in that encoding
2. if the subtitle format defines a way to specify the encoding inside
the sub file (i don't know about them, but think like in xml), then let
them define it inside the subtitle file

3. if the sub format does not define an encoding (like most of the
subtitles i've met,like *sub *srt and so on), THEN PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
PRETTY PLEASE FORCE IT TO UTF8 IN THE SPECIFICATION..many thanks :)

gabor