[MPlayer-dev-eng] KiSS of copyright

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Mar 25 12:54:56 CET 2004

Christof Buergi writes:
 > Matthias Wieser sagte:
 > > Am 17. 3 2004 09:54 schrieb Christof Buergi:
 > >> Usage of the software is only seen as implicit acceptance, if the
 > >> user must see a copy of the license prior of the use.
 >
 > > That only matters for relations between individuals and companies. But
 > > KISS is not just a individual user of the mplayer software but a
 > > company.
 >
 > Not quite. If the "user" is a company, the usage of the software is
 > considered to be an implicit acceptance, if the person in charge must
 > have seen the license.

Hmm, I think there is a big difference between using a program and
copying parts of its source code.  It is possible to accidentally run
a program and/or you might claim that you were unaware of its
license.  This does not hold for hold for source code, though.  There
are copyright notices everywhere and if you write code you DO know a
thing or two about copyright and about "borrowing" other people's
work.

Diego