[MPlayer-dev-eng] KiSS of copyright

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Wed Mar 17 09:12:40 CET 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 07:57:46PM +0100, Christof Buergi wrote:
> > IIUC they are bound by some contracts and cannot release all of their
> > source.  Dunno which license wins in this case, that's something to
> > ask a lawyer.  We might still force them to release parts of it.
>
> IANAL, but I think you're wrong. KiSS never accepted the license, so you
> may not enforce it. You may however, force KiSS to either accept the
> license or stop using the software. But it's their choice, not yours.
> Remember the case when Apple accused Microsoft of stealing their video
> code? In the end, Microsoft decided to remove the infringing code
> rather than paying for a license.

Yes, maybe for the further life ot the company. But the company can't
change the fact that they usED a software illegally in their product, so
they can be sued for that even if they won't use any more in the future.
Sure, like Apple/M$, parties can establish some communication to make
an agreement to stop using illegal code with stopping the legal action at
the same time, but it's an agreement between parties so I think it's out
of scope of law a bit. But IANAL. And IMHO.

- Gábor (larta'H)