[MPlayer-dev-eng] KiSS of copyright

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Mar 16 05:21:13 CET 2004

Gabucino writes:
 > Ivan Kalvachev wrote:
 > > You also had some very reasonable request about giving the source
 > > under NDA for inspection. I would like to hear why you have aborted that.
 > Two reasons:
 >  - soon Kiss proved to be more cooperative than I suspected and it's good
 >  - it has became quite clear to me that they'd go bankrupt sooner than
 >    releasing their sources (due to various reasons which can be easily
 >    guessed).

Gabu, we caught them red-handed.  It's probably difficult to find a
clearer case of copyright infringement on free software, is there?  We
are in a _very_ strong position for negotiating, no need to give in so
quickly.

 > > Yes. What's the name of the coder that have taken mplayer code and put it
 > > in propriatly software. What punishment did he got?
 > Those questions are unanswered.

I doubt that a single coder is responsible.  In any case this does not
concern us, we have to deal with KISS as an entity.

 > > Did you consult layers?
 > I already said so on IRC, but you just flamed, accused, flamed, accused.

What did the lawyers say?

 > > Did you consult any FSF member requesting legal advice? I suppose FSF have
 > > been at least warned.
 > Fantom Software Foundation?

It would be really nice if you could refrain from constantly treating
other people differently than you want to be treated yourself.

Diego