[MPlayer-dev-eng] KiSS of copyright

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Sat Mar 13 18:55:23 CET 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 11:40:25AM +0000, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> All of you, please cut Gabucino some slack.  I'm sure he did his very
> best in representing the project and did so with the best intentions.

Until money was involved...

> I read one mail he sent to KISS and it was brilliant.  Moreover he has

Thats because you only read the parts he wanted you to see. Try
reading the reply where he sells out.

> been the "legal maintainer" of MPlayer and nobody complained so far.

Many have complained, just not in public. I have a proposal. Would all
who oppose Gabucino acting as legal representative for MPlayer post
here publicly for all to see? IMO this has gone way too far and we
need to do this.

> Anyway, the worst thing we can do now is splinter and send different
> demands to KISS all on our own.  We need to stand united in this
> affair.  In order to achieve this we have to agree upon a _common_ set
> of goals.

If so, these goals must be the correct ones (in light of the GPL) and
the _strongest_ goals demanded by _any_ copyright holder whose code
might have been stolen, not the weakest possible demands (like Gabu
wants).

> IIUC the donation has already taken place, so we will have to live
> with the consequences for good or ill.  Now we need to agree upon the

No, it hasn't. I suggest you immediately email KiSS (like others have
been doing) telling them that Gabu does not have authority to settle.
This will likely make them think twice about making a "donation"
(which they intended to be a settlement!!).

> next step.  Is there some way for us to reach a settlement with them?
> What should it look like?  Do we insist on forcing them to release
> (parts of) their code?

Of course. ALL of it.

Rich

P.S. Gabu, post FULL mail archives of the discussion with KiSS by
tomorrow or I'll post what I have.