[MPlayer-dev-eng] new results & bugs report

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Thu Jun 17 10:21:48 CEST 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 01:51:24 -0400
D Richard Felker III <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 09:39:35PM -0700, rcooley wrote:
> > Why not just let 'scale' calculate that for you?
>
> Nope, it will pick misaligned dimensions.

What do you mean by misaligned? %16!=0

In that case, no problem.  I have mencoder scale *before* cropping, so
it ends up as %16==0 anyhow.

> I don't understand how this is so hard. There are basically three
> aspect ratios:, 4:3, 16:9, and 64:27. The corresponding resolutions
> are 640x480, 640x352, and 640x272.

Well, after cropping black borders and whatnot, you don't have 640x480
anymore, so it's not quite that simple.

> You can visually inspect your movie to see which one it is

Which means it can't be scripted, and you have to spend 10X longer
before starting encoding on each video.  Reading numbers, making
mind-numbing judgments over and over, and then typing them in...  Not my
idea of fun.

> NO ONE will notice if the aspect is off by 1-2% due to the cropping
> you used!

And no-one will notice if there is 1-2% of the picture cropped-off to
give the proper aspect...  Not that I disagree with you, but somebody
should play devils advocate here...