[MPlayer-dev-eng] lavcopts PSNR comparison

Romain Dolbeau dolbeau at irisa.fr
Fri Jun 11 11:47:38 CEST 2004

Hello folks,

I've tried comparing some lavcopts to see If I was using the
proper subset while encoding, to get the most out of a fairly
low bitrate. So I tested 384 combinations, using a 5000 frames
sequences 30 seconds in the european DVD of "Crouchen Tiger,
Hidden Dragon". This is nowhere near as comprehensive as
previous work, but still might be of interest to some...

Common options: "vcodec=mpeg4:vqmin=2:vqmax=31:keyint=125:vbitrate=650:"
video filters: "-vf crop=720:432:0:72,scale=544:230"

Quick conclusions: vme=4 and vme=5 seems to be identical,
mbd=2 is good, v4mv is good, trell is good, 1 bframes
is good, qpel is good, and *cmp=2 is good.

Absolutely no surprises :-) (or is it :-( ?)

Is there any _useful_ options I missed ? (there's too may
options in the man page to be able to test everything, in
particular options with a float parameter :-)

Full result attached as tab-delimited text.

--
Romain Dolbeau