[MPlayer-dev-eng] -Wall

J. Grant jg-lists at jguk.org
Sat Jun 5 00:46:03 CEST 2004

> NO, ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID?!?! The whole reason the code was written
> that was is that initializing to zero takes TIME!!!!! MPlayer is not
> written to be slow crap like other players...

c'mon, this is basic stuff; you're telling me you really are of the
opinion that initalising a variable to zero is going to grind mplayer to
a halt?! If you do, you are severely out of touch with the reality of
computers since 90's.

You should keep things in perspective, clean clear code "costs"
effectively nothing.  You time it and you will not see any difference
unless you run it at least 1000 times I expect.  This is not the 70's,
you don't have to go mad to save an instruction in a compromise of code
clarification for the compiler.  Remember this is one warning, in
libavcodec, I bet you did not even read the code before writing your
bizarre ranting response.

I note you did not rant about my points about the other warnings, dodgy
pointer accesses, string conversions.  For those reasons _alone_ it is
better to have -Wall, at least for .developer builds.  Also remember
just because there are pages of warnings and there is a warning from
code at motion_est.c:178 or whatever, all the other info is also helpful.

Warnings in the -Wall group can be turned of selectively if you are
concretely anti certain warnings.

If you are desperate for no warnings, you could always turn them off
locally.  After all, I only turned them on locally myself.

Cheers

JG